The 12th EEF Congress will demonstrate sustainability in action in Avila. It will be a documented industry reference on how to organise a sustainable congress in Spain.
In cooperation with consultants MCI Sustainability Services, we have set the following objectives to guide us:
- Measure and reduce carbon emissions
- Offset a minimum of 50% of total CO2 emissions generated by the event
- Reduce waste to landfill or incinerator: Divert through recycling, composting, reusing or donating a minimum of 50% of waste produced by the venue during the congress
- Generate income for the local economy, by contracting a minimum of 60% of suppliers from the city and surrounding areas
- Develop a gastronomic offering for the participants that highlights local culture and sustainable growing solutions by using a minimum of 50% from local providers (<160km) and by serving a minimum of 30% organic products
- Raise awareness and commitment to improving sustainable business practices within the local meetings industry.
The EEF Congress will take a number of actions to achieve these objectives:
- Planning: The Summit is being planned in alignment with the MCI Sustainable Event Management system. This includes the development of a unique sustainable event management strategy, objectives, measurement and reporting goals.
- Contracting: Key event partners, such as hotels, venues and transportation providers, have been evaluated and selected for their commitment to sustainable business practices. They have signed a Code of Conduct.
- Congress Centre: The meeting venue committed to increase sustainability performance in terms of infrastructure, energy efficiency, operations and commitment to sustainable business.
- Food and Beverage: 50% of menu items served during the event will have been grown no more than 160 kilometres from Avila. .
- Marketing: Products to support the event, such as speaker gifts and congress bags will be sourced from sustainable materials and only purchased when necessary.
How to participate in sustainable practices during EEF: Reduce, Reuse, Recycle, Offset
- Please use the train where possible. For participants who must fly, select the fewest number of connections possible as most emissions occur during takeoff.
- Walk. Avila is a small delightful town. Walking is the best way to travel from your hotel to the congress center
- Offset your emissions: EEF has selected a carbon offset project which will invest in protecting the Peruvian Amazon Rainforest. The Madre de Dios project has been validated according to the Climate, Community & Biodiversity Alliance (CCB Standards), which guarantee its social and environmental sustainability and audits its carbon credits. This is furthermore enhanced by the fact that the project has obtained the maximum status of “gold” within the CCB Standard and is managed to FSC standards. We invite all event participants to offset their carbon emissions resulting from the travel to the venue
- Recycle: Join us by discarding any waste in appropriate available bins for recycling.
- Reduce: Avoid purchasing plastic disposable water bottles. Water and other beverages will be served in carafes and large containers. Please bring re-usable containers to use during the event
- Reuse: Participate in the hotel towel and sheet reuse program
- Be healthy: Choose vegetarian options, don’t overeat or consume too many sugary food that will make you more sleepy.
We invite feedback, suggestions and ideas for actions we can take to improve our performance and realize our vision to be a documented industry reference for sustainable event management.